Oh, look. I just made this tomato guy.
- Your scientific name lycopersicum means “wolf peach,” and people used to think that witches could turn into werewolves if they ate your cousin the nightshade.
- Aztecs called you the “thing with a navel.”
- Some other guys in your genus are the giant devil’s-fig and the kangaroo apple. Altogether you sound like a pretty tough gang.
- Hernán Cortés was probably the person who brought tomatoes to Europe, so he did at least one thing in his life that wasn’t completely terrible.
- Shakespeare never wrote anything about you, but Dickens referred to you six times in The Pickwick Papers.
- Botanically you are classified as a fruit but the US Supreme Court labeled you as a vegetable in 1883. You are the state vegetable and the state fruit of Arkansas.
You’re a pretty interesting guy, Tomato Guy. I’m glad I made you. Now how about lunch?